Sunday, July 22, 2012

A New Hope: Hinged AFOs


I know it has been awhile since our last post, but it is summer time and we have been on vacation! Myself and my kids Lorelei, Lucas, and Lily went to Birmingham, Alabama to visit family. We had a wonderful time celebrating my mother’s birthday and my sister’s birthday on July 4th and 5th. The kids took a trip to Desoto Caverns, Zimora Park swimming pool, The Summit shopping center, and Vulcan State Park with their grandparents. We all came back tired, suntanned, supplied for school, and filled with the love of family!

After two weeks off, Lily had lots of physical therapy to make up. So we have been doing two to three therapy sessions a week since the second week of July.  The PT has been working on her heal-toe technique with the left foot and stretching her interior leg muscles to improve her hip turn-out. The muscles on the top her legs are not strong or coordinated enough to lift her toes. As a result, she drags her left foot and toes. To compensate for this weakness, she lifts her legs at the hips by rotating them inward. This improper rotation and lifting is hindering her ability to walk correctly.

Butterfly kisses from Daddy.
After three months of working on these issues and providing opportunities for her to walk and stand, we have seen no improvement in her strength and coordination. Lily has plateaued in her motor skills development before, but never for such an extended period of time. So, this week the PT and I decided it was time for Lily to get hinged leg braces and hip derotation straps.  I am so ready for Lily to walk, and ideally I would like to see her do this on her own without any assistive devices, but I am willing to do what it takes to get her walking.

While she seems to have stopped improving in motor skills, her language skills continue to spring forward. I know I have said this several times before, but she really does repeat everything we say! Her newest words are cracker, cup, brother, sister, banana, and all gone.  And she even does hand motions with her words and pretends to brush her teeth, rock a baby doll, and answer a telephone. Lily has completely caught up with her age group in areas of cognition and language development. What a wonderful blessing!!

As I was telling friends and family about Lily Pad’s upcoming braces and straps, I had an individual say to me, “So does this mean you are giving up on Lily being able to walk?” Absolutely not!!! The braces and straps are designed to build Lily’s walking muscles, not as replacements for the skill.  This person’s question shows me that change and situation is all about perspective. If you perceive something as negative, it will be. But I see Lily’s new devices as an opportunity to give her the confidence to take her first steps. God is providing us with the resources to help Lily and he is blessing me with a positive outlook and a new hope.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that things are going well with Miss Lily!! Sorry that we didn't get a chance to visit with y'all on the July 4th holiday :( I hope that everything continues to go well for your sweet baby and hope to see you soon, possibly another SISTAH get together ;)) Take care and wishing only the best for your sweet baby Lily!!

    ReplyDelete